While I’m overly excited about the start of summer vacation (no more rushing the kids out of the house to get to school in time!) and beyond proud of our sweet girl and all she has learned and accomplished this past year in Pre-K, I can’t help but feel sad for another “season” that has officially passed in this motherhood journey.
Our firstborn is officially a kindergartener. The words alone are enough to bring a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. Watching her with her classmates, singing their little hearts out on the risers in the primary school cafeteria, adorned with construction paper graduation caps, I beamed with pride at our Mar Mar. And, much to my surprise, I didn’t even shed a tear while watching, which is a huge feat – especially for someone who cries at every kids’ performance/celebration ever, even before we had children of our own.
I figured now would be a good time to recap a bit about Marleigh Jo before even more time gets away from us.
Here are a few things about Marleigh at the end of Pre-K (age 4.5):
- Favorite colors: Blue, pink, and red
- Favorite game: Tag (only if she wins – Ms. Competitive!)
- Favorite activity: Nature walks and journals
- Favorite show: Octonauts and Justin Time
- Best friends from school: Brooke, Addilynn, Austin, and Jace
- Knows how to read (she can read entire books by herself!) and loves reading to her little brother (when he decides to sit and listen)
- Colors inside the lines better than most adults
- Rarely complains about her daily chores
- LOVES getting an allowance
- Wants to marry her brother someday
- Tells everyone to “Drive safe!” every time they leave
- Is the sweetest, most sensitive and loving little girl I know
There are so many more things about our little girl that we love, and four has been such a fun age so far! It might sound weird to say that a four year old is one of my best friends, but I don’t even care. Mar Mar and I are two peas in a pod and I couldn’t love her more if I tried!
Congratulations, baby girl! A whole summer – and lifetime – of adventures await you, and I can’t wait to experience them all by your side!